I was just too tired last night to say what I wanted to.
I now know why you don’t ply 2 skeins from the same swift. Even though you think you’ve wound them with the same tension etc they end up all over the place, with the vagaries of twist and stuff. I was saved from disaster as I used the tension mast from my ball winder to feed the singles through. It’s possible that with 2 swifts and the tension mast I’d do better. I know normally people ball up yarn for plying, but soooo much winding. Also I need some kind of Lazy Kate, the old box from my bike helmet with slots cut into it is a bit too wide and a shoe box (which I was loathe to part with anyway, as I keep SHOES in them) was too narrow, and that exhausted my available box options. As I was plying, I tried to keep the yarn at a point where when I let it go next to itself it didn’t spiral together, or at least not too much, and once it was skeined it seemed to balance, but it’s a pretty loose twist and it’s entirely possible I could have got away with more. This is only my second week of spinning though so I can’t expect the know everything all at once, especially just through trial and error. More reading required.
I set the twist in the bathroom sink, first wetting I used a bit of shampoo, as that was what I had to hand, thought the book said washing up liquid. I rolled it dryish in a towel then rinsed and rerolled (fresh towel) it’s looped round a coat hanger to dry but is getting moved about to dry it as evenly as possible. Once it’s dry I’ll rewind it – umbrella swift to daisy – then measure it so I know how much I ended up with and to get a tidier skein. It seemed much more than 200 yards while I was doing it, but I had had beer for the last bit, so my perception may have been off.
I’m hoping I can scrape enough yarn pennies together to buy another bag of tops, as 800g of yarn might just be enough to knit something substantial, no matter what the WPI end up at, and I’d really like a garment as opposed to an accessory out of this.